Sunday, October 14, 2012

Bonus Sunday: Free Bamboo Pattern!

Bamboo Pattern

Last week I said I would have a free pattern for you... so did you get the clue? Panda, bamboo. I guess it wasn't a great hint.

Panda Hat and Bamboo

This is my first real pattern, I hope you like it! I made three different sizes, the one i have to share is the largest, but I'll tell you how to adjust it for other sizes. I'm going to be using these to fashion a purse together for my panda costume. I'll have pictures when it's finished, but for now here's the pattern:

The yarn I used is Vanna's Choice in Kelly Green and Fern, it calls for a "J" hook so that's what these patterns are for (though a smaller gauge would probably still look nice).

Row 1: Start with a “magic ring” (here’s a link to a site that will show you how, if you don’t already know). Only chain once and then SC 7 then slip stitch into the first chain.
Row 2: Chain 1, SC into the same spot. SC 2 into each stitch all the way around. Slip stitch into beginning chain.
Row 3: Chain 1. SC 2 into next stitch. *SC 1, then SC 2 into the same stitch* repeat* 6 times. Slip stitch into beginning chain. Tie off.

You will need two of these.

Ends

Base: Chain 24.
Row 1: Slip stitch into first chain, chain 1. SC 23. Slip stitch into beginning chain.
Row 2: Chain 1. SC 5, decrease 1. *SC 6. decrease 1* repeat* once. (you should now have 21 instead of 24) Slip stitch into beginning chain.
Row 3: Chain 1, SC 4, decrease 1. *SC 5, decrease 1* repeat* once. (you should now have 18 instead of 21) Slip stitch into beginning chain.

Rows 1-4

row 4-10: Chain 1, SC 17, Slip stitch into beginning chain. (repeat)

Rows 1-10

After row 4 I added on the first end, you don't need to do that know though. To attach the first end I put a slip knot on my hook then put it through the bottom of the base chain and front loop of the stitches around the end. That sounds a little confusing so here's a picture:

First Ending

Then you just single crochet all the way around; make sure you're going through the right loops. At the end I SC into the first stitch again, I just think it looks better that way. After that I tied the two ends together (double knot). The reason you only go through the front loop is because I think it gives it this nice ring:

End Ring

Ok, now back to the pattern...

Row 11: Chain 1, SC 4, increase 1. *SC 5, increase 1* repeat* once. (you should now have 21 instead of 18) Slip stitch into beginning chain.
Row 12: Chain 1. SC 5, increase 1. *SC 6. increase 1* repeat* once. (you should now have 21 instead of 24) Slip stitch into beginning chain.
Row 13: Chain 1, SC 23. Slip stitch into beginning chain.
Row 14: Chain 1. SC 5, decrease 1. *SC 6. decrease 1* repeat* once. (you should now have 21 instead of 24) Slip stitch into beginning chain.
Row 15: Chain 1, SC 4, decrease 1. *SC 5, decrease 1* repeat* once. (you should now have 18 instead of 21) Slip stitch into beginning chain.

Rows 7-15

At this point you will need to do the first ring around. You could do it at the end, but I find that it's easier to do now. It's similar to how you attach the end, here's a picture of how to insert your hook:

Ring Hook

You're basically going to be covering up row 13 with single crochets. Here's a picture with a few on:

Ring Stitches

These rings are the reason this pattern is so annoying. What do I mean by annoying? Well, normally with a project like this I would just spiral up instead of all this "slip stitch into chain, chain one" nonsense. But if I did just spiral, the rings wouldn't match up and it would look weird, so the annoyingness wins. Back to the pattern!

Row 1-15 with Ring

At this point its kind of all the same.

Row 16-22: Chain 1, SC 17, Slip stitch into beginning chain. (repeat)
Row 23: Chain 1, SC 4, increase 1. *SC 5, increase 1* repeat* once. (you should now have 21 instead of 18) Slip stitch into beginning chain.
Row 24: Chain 1. SC 5, increase 1. *SC 6. increase 1* repeat* once. (you should now have 21 instead of 24) Slip stitch into beginning chain.
Row 25: Chain 1, SC 23. Slip stitch into beginning chain.
Row 26: Chain 1. SC 5, decrease 1. *SC 6. decrease 1* repeat* once. (you should now have 21 instead of 24) Slip stitch into beginning chain.
Row 27: Chain 1, SC 4, decrease 1. *SC 5, decrease 1* repeat* once. (you should now have 18 instead of 21) Slip stitch into beginning chain.

Do the second ring around row 25

Second Ring

Row 28-34: Chain 1, SC 17, Slip stitch into beginning chain. (repeat)
Row 35: Chain 1, SC 4, increase 1. *SC 5, increase 1* repeat* once. (you should now have 21 instead of 18) Slip stitch into beginning chain.
Row 36: Chain 1. SC 5, increase 1. *SC 6. increase 1* repeat* once. (you should now have 21 instead of 24) Slip stitch into beginning chain.
Row 37: Chain 1, SC 23. Slip stitch into beginning chain. Tie off.

Length

Next add the stuffing. I used very little compared to other projects, only enough to keep its shape. Crochet on the end, it's a bit different than the other end, here's a pic:

End!

Finito

Then the last thing to do is hide the ends of your yarn. I just put them inside with the stuffing using a yarn needle. And if you want to do different sizing like I have, the only difference is the amount of rows in between the bumps, so play around with it. No bamboo is exactly alike.

I hope you like this pattern. I included a lot of pictures because that's the way I prefer to have patterns; I think it helps me to not get lost.

Tops

Trio

Please let me know if I messed anything up, as this is my first pattern, I'm sure I did. I would also love to see any pictures of ones you make, so please share!

-merely

No comments:

Post a Comment